Channel Island Power Station General Augmentation
This gas turbine installation increased the generating capacity of Darwin’s main power station.
Leighton Contractors was responsible for the installation of a 40MW GE LM6000 Gas Turbine Generator (dual fuel gas/diesel) and design, installation and commissioning of the balance of plant.
Leighton Contractors also installed the system controls including design and commissioning of AB PLC, interface with Yokogawa and Foxboro for GUI and SCADA (remote control).
Scope of work included:
- Installation and alignment of gas turbine generator.
- Erection and connection of auxiliary equipment skids.
- Interface with existing generating units.
- Installation and commissioning of Hitachi 132kV gas insulated switchgear.
- Termination of 132kV and 11kV cables.
- Supply and installation of 4MVA Wilson.
- Transformer, 11kV busduct and Schneider 11kV switchgear.
- All civil works.
- Waste systems.
- Gas detection and fire protection system.
- All interconnecting pipework.
- Control and switchroom.
- Gas transmission pipeline and filtration system.
- Diesel fuel transmission pipeline.
This project was nominated for the Northern Territory Engineering Excellence Award due to the high standard of work achieved by Leighton’s design and construction team.