Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT)
New home for the 33rd squadron
The Multi Role Tanker Transport (MRTT) project involved the provision of new working accommodation and infrastructure including:
- 75,000m² Aircraft Parking Apron including Hydrant Refuelling System.
- Squadron Headquarters Facility for 33 SQN.
- Aircraft Maintenance Complex comprising.
– Maintenance Hangar.
– Supporting Technical Workshops and Stores.
– Aircraft Wash Bay.
– Ground Support Equipment Shelter.
- Office Facility for Logistics Management Unit.
- Upgrades to the Main Runway and Parallel Taxiway to MOS139 Code E standards, including Airfield Ground Lighting.
All designs were developed using the sustainability principles of the Green Building Council’s Green Star system.
Problem solving areas
In close consultation with the Base, the upgrade works to the runway were scheduled around a window of opportunity for the runway to be shut down. This reduced the need for night works, temporary ramps and fillets and delivered the most economical outcome for Defence.
The project is one of the first delivered under Defence’s new arrangements for Managing Contractor, with Leighton Contractors assisting in the development of scope and budget documentation for the PWC Hearing.