Our New Parallel Runway Airfield Works Project in Brisbane has taken top honours at the 2021 National Infrastructure Awards, with the project named Project of the Year.
Delivered by the SkyWay JV – comprising CPB Contractors and BMD Constructions – for Brisbane Airport Corporation, the project included the construction of a 3.3km long 60m wide runway, a 12km taxiway system, lighting, utilities, signage and 300 hectares of landscaping.
Five million cubic metres of bulk sand earthworks were also completed, 100,000 tonnes of aircraft-grade asphalt used and 175,000 cubic metres of concrete produced on site.
The project delivered enormous local benefits for the industry with more than 3,700 people and 300 subcontractors inducted and 90 per cent of construction materials provided locally.
The project reached practical completion in April 2020 and was officially opened three months later.
Since its completion, the project has won a number of awards including:
- National Infrastructure Awards 2021 – Project of the Year
- Civil Contractors Federation 2020 Queensland Earth Awards - ‘Project Value Greater Than $75 Million’
- Queensland Major Contractors Association 2021 Awards - Project of the Year over $100 million
- Australian Institute of Project Management Achievement Awards 2021 - Construction and Engineering
- 2021 National Airport Industry Awards - Infrastructure