CPB Contractors' Rozelle Interchange, the final stage of mega-project Westconnex and one of Australia's most remarkable feats of engineering has been opened to the community.
Delivered with CPB Contractors' precision project management approach, works included delivery of an interwoven network of tunnels over 24km in length, two state-of-the-art ventilation facilities, four cut and cover structures, ten hectares of revitalised parklands, eleven substations, twelve bridges, twenty-nine axial fans, and 132 jet fans.
While this stage has required the most complex engineering, the project achieves a streamlined connection for Transport for NSW, benefiting drivers to easily travel through the M4-M8 Link, the City West Link, the future Western Harbour Tunnel, and an underground bypass of Victoria Road.
More than 20 roadheaders excavated over 8.5 million tonnes of earth on this final package alone, highlighting the scale of the Westconnex mega-project which commenced delivery in 2015.
Delivered in joint venture, the Rozelle Interchange project team's achievements include:
- 24.2km of tunnel excavation
- Installing more than 46,000 mechanical and electrical assets
- Hauling of 1,700,000+ metres of cables
- Laying over 300,000m2 of road pavement
- Constructing more than 13,900m2 of blockwork
- 25,000+ design drawings
- Pouring of over 3,900m3 of low-carbon concrete
- Installation of 185+ shotcrete and 100+ rockbolt courses
- The use of more than 190 tonnes of recycled glass sand