Transforming Perth’s north-west corridor
CPB Contractors worked with Main Roads Western Australia to deliver a 6km extension of the Mitchell Freeway in Perth’s north-west corridor.
The Mitchell Freeway Extension, from Burns Beach Road in Joondalup to Hester Avenue in Clarkson, has improved access and travel time to Perth’s far northern suburbs, and facilitated residential, business development and employment opportunities in the area.
Via the Mitchell Freeway Extension, we have delivered enduring assets that are enhancing Perth’s transport system and generating significant community and economic benefits.
The extension from Burns Beach Road to Hester Avenue consists of two lanes in each direction, with the capacity to add a third lane in the future. North-bound and south-bound carriageways have been constructed on either side of the northern suburbs railway line.
At its peak, the construction program provided employment for more than 244 people.
Project outcomes included:
- 6km of dual carriageway in each direction, with capacity for expansion to three lanes in the future;
- New interchanges at Burns Beach Road, Neerabup Road and Hester Avenue;
- Shared Path for pedestrians and cyclist, including underpasses and a bridge;
- Extension of Neerabup Road from Connolly Drive to Wanneroo Road;
- Widening of Hester Avenue from Hidden Valley Retreat to Wanneroo Road;
- Reconfiguration of Flynn Drive, Wanneroo Road and Neerabup Road intersection;
- Widening of Wanneroo Road from Flynn Drive to Hall Road;
- Upgrading of Joondalup and Wanneroo Road intersection; and
- Noise mitigation, where required.
The freeway was officially opened to the public on 3 August 2017.