A new metro railway crossing deep under Sydney Harbour
CPB Contractors, with John Holland and Ghella, will design and construct twin 15.5km tunnels and associated civil works on Stage 2 of Sydney Metro – Australia’s biggest public transport project.
We have been delivering tunnelling infrastructure in Australia for more than a decade, and have brought together a team of experience, strength and agility to ensure an effective works program.
Our team is focused on ensuring that all objectives for this significant major project are achieved, including sustainable design and construction methodologies, opportunities for local workers and businesses, and a socially-inclusive procurement strategy.
Sydney Metro City & Southwest Tunnel and Station Excavation (TSE) works include:
- Twin 15.5km tunnels from Chatswood to Sydenham travelling under Sydney Harbour and the CBD using five tunnel boring machines (TBMs).
- 57 cross passages between the tunnels approximately every 240m along the alignment and a temporary retrieval shaft at Blues Point.
- Tunnel dive structures at Chatswood and Marrickville.
- Excavation of six new underground metro stations at Crows Nest, Victoria Cross, Barangaroo, Martin Place, Pitt Street and Waterloo.
- A crossover cavern at Barangaroo to allow trains to cross from one track to another.
- Design and manufacture of about 99,000 precast concrete segments to line the tunnels.
- Demolition and removal of existing buildings on the construction sites.
The tunnel and station excavation works contract is expected to conclude in mid-2021.